Thank you for considering Rowan County Early College (RCEC) as your high school. Before completing an application, we ask that you give careful consideration to the information below to determine if RCEC is the most suitable educational experience for you. In completing the application, please make special note of the expectations you and your child will be agreeing to if he or she is accepted at RCEC.
Rowan County Early College (RCEC), on the campus of Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, North Campus, was established in 2007 as a collaborative effort between the Rowan-Salisbury School System and Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. The program was part of Governor Easley’s Learn and Earn initiative and is structured to provide successful, challenging and meaningful experiences for students identified as high ability who are not yet reaching their potential, are first generation college, have financial need, are traditionally underserved in higher education, or would benefit from an accelerated academic program.
Students in grades 9-12 will be offered not only the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and meet university entrance requirements, but they will also take college courses for which they may receive up to two (2) years of college credit.
What it takes to be successful
The student population of RCEC reflects and values the diversity of its participating schools. Some of the criteria considered in determining student eligibility are:
• Above-average ability in areas of reading, writing, and math (reflected by standardized test scores, counselor and/or teacher recommendation).
• Demonstration of ability to make mature, independent, and productive choices and to succeed in college classes and high school college preparatory classes
• Desire to be challenged intellectually and committed to embrace education.
• Make education a priority over social and recreational interests. (teacher/counselor/student recommendation).
• Would benefit from an accelerated academic program.
Applications are due by December 13, 2017