Elementary Schools

Middle Schools

High Schools

Section Title

Students succeeding

School Improvement Info.

SIP Goals

To access our School Improvement Plan, login by clicking the link below. Use the guest username and password provided.

www.indistar.org

Guest17208-username
Guest17208-password

Oct. Meeting 2017

October SIT Meeting Minutes


10-23-17 3:00


In attendance: DeAnne Law, Bonnie Harrell, Candis Coble, Toshuka Morle, Marvin Moore, Crystal Brown-Williams, Chastity Ramsey, Lindley Guri, Wilnie Angibeau-Hunter, Sonya Arnold, Nick Anderson, Karen Puckett, Jocelyn Watkins

  1. SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Review SIP objective assignments Jarvis

  • “SIT Objectives to Complete” document sent out. Moore met with someone, shared that State can see our agendas and documents as we put them in Indistar, so make sure it is professional. Make sure to include parent involvement/engagement, make sure parents have a way to be engaged in what we are doing. Newsletters home, Class Dojo, but must be able to be documented. Moore proposed a monthly grade level newsletter to send home to parents. Can be put on Dojo, but keep a hard copy for artifacts. Dr. Jarvis will need to change the goal in SIP from weekly to monthly. Document all meetings, etc, preferably with google docs, so that the artifacts can be added to the SIP.
  • A2.04 - discussed the goals, seems too lofty, that is 16 units a year. Moore will try to give planning time because the consensus was that we do not have the common time together to plan. Team agreed that the goal of at a minimum, 1 math and 1 reading unit per year is more attainable.
  • A4.01 - training will be provided by December, teachers will submit guided reading lessons for artifacts, Moore will upload pictures that he takes during walkthroughs, Troutman’s training with the TAs
  • A4.06 Responsive Classroom training coming up on Monday, yoga training, Law doing small groups/emotional well-being. Need to set up time with Moore to do a staff training on student emotional well-being. Date will need to be moved back to reflect that training has not happened yet.
  • B1.01 SIT agendas, screenshot of calendar. Moore added to make sure you are going over SIT team minutes with your grade level
  • B2.03 Established, last month voting and template put in place
  • B3.03 PLCs, data meetings after TE21, may be able to combine with post-conference. Guri asked about when we will get the scores/how to get them, will email Brown-Williams to ask. Harris and Jarvis have links to PLCs, google docs, and links are shared. Walkthrough feedback was not acting correctly, but Moore and Brown-Williams will screenshot their screens and send them to make sure that you are receiving the correct information.
  • C2.01 School Leadership Team meets to re-discuss minutes and goals for SIP. Moore stated that he needs teacher leaders to allow other teachers to come into the room and watch guided reading/math.
  • C3.04 Staff celebrations, weekly, Moore is appreciative of what we are doing. News links can be uploaded as an artifact.
  • E1.06 Title I meetings have been done
  • Try to get as much information as possible in so that we can finish off these goals
  • Law said that MTSS will not be rolled out yet, the December training will not happen. She will not be able to do the training until next year.


Plan for E1.06 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YBrnuKsUsvItXk8hM_jGAeiUfO9oGHCbNVZ-Gv9Sgo/edit?usp=sharing

Puckett asks that any documentation be added in. Plug information into Schoology or email her.


  1. Old Business


  1. Literacy Agenda Items:

Instructional time is different this year, enhancement schedule is 5 days a week instead of 3. Harris should have spoken to every grade level about 3 rotations per day instead of 5. Mini-lesson, rotate at least 3 times for 25 minutes. Lowest group meet with them daily. Guided Reading, Guided Extension, you pick the other, or menu. 3 guided groups a day. 1 rotation can be used for progress monitoring, try to do 1-2 daily. No one observing you will say anything about progress monitoring during this time. 5th Grade asked when their TRCs will be done, Law, Jarvis, and Puckett are working on it, Moore may provide a day.

TRC data: Where they come to us is never where they finish. Kindergarten 74% below grade level, 1st grade 50% below grade level. Good instruction happening. 3rd Grade has some 5s on BOG, kids are getting better because of quality instruction. Behavior is another key component. 4 referrals that were direct teacher referrals, 2 were same kid. Troutman and Prep are working, small group and quality instruction are working. Scores should be better because we can teach more. Relationships matter. Mrs. Harrell, Ms. Law, Ms. Puckett doing a wonderful job getting resources for our school. Things we are doing in our building are working, Moore making connections because he can talk about what we are doing well.

Math: Be sure you are using the new Math Paradigm. Everyone is expected to be doing Number Talks and Math Talks according to the information provided in the Math Paradigm, during PLC discussions, and in the reading materials provided by Dr. Jarvis. While Vocabulary is not a required math work station, it is important to include it several times a week as a requirement.

  1. Safety:


  1. Parent Involvement:

Curriculum Night-


  1. Data: TRC, Achieve 3000, TE 21, Attendance, Discipline


  1. Important Dates:

Fall Gala will be Nov. 16th, Grade Levels will have stations that they will be running. Puckett will send sign up list out. Grade Levels will charge for games, they get to keep the money for the grade level. Don’t charge more than about 50cents per game. Moore will work out logistics with PTA.


Sign up for activities on this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dY_Hqvtw-mngAlZSDwMIfnd3c8hwyE6tcwD9OuLTAxo/edit?usp=sharing

  1. Other

*Smart Goals

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, time-bound, timely, tangible, trackable


Nov. Meeting 2017

November SIT Meeting Minutes


11-6-17 3:00


In attendance: Marvin Moore, Leah Law, Chastity Ramsey, Toshuka Morle, Wilnie Hunter, Nita Jarvis, Kristen Harris, Nick Anderson, Lindley Guri, Kristen Smith, Karen Puckett, Jocelyn Watkins

  1. SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Jarvis needs: interventionist training logs from Troutman, training on PBIS from Brown-Williams, SIT on the website (Anderson), list of chairpersons for each team/committee that we have at school (Brown-Williams), copy of this year’s observation/walk-through log/calendar (Admin), PTA Calendar for the year (Moore)

We need to add new objectives. When one rotates off, another goes on; we always have 12. We need 4 new ones. Jarvis proposed

A2.05: all teachers develop lesson plans based on units of instruction (something we already do).

A3.05 assess students 3 times yearly on standards based objectives.

A4.16 School develops and implements consistent, intentional plans for transitions from PreK to K and 5th to middle school. Moore mentioned also doing 2 to 3.

B3.01 monitor progress of extended learning time programs (after-school tutoring and Saturday school).


  1. Old Business

Last meeting was 2 weeks ago, so we do not need to review. Curriculum Night was a success, good feedback from parents, good information


  1. Literacy Agenda Items:

Stay the course with blended learning paradigm, stay on top of progress monitoring K-5, not just MClass, any instruction make sure you are monitoring to make sure students are at or above grade level. RAZ Kids especially in 4-5, make sure you are using the correlation charts for levels. For Math, TE-21 data, CFAs by grade level, NC Check-ins, Schoolnet. Push writing across the curriculum: writing journals in math/science, vocabulary (great equalizer).

Moore met with Kindergarten. Because we are a Restart school, we have different opportunities.It gives us the flexibility to do and try things differently in order for us to make growth. To get out of Restart we have to exceed growth or make a C. KEA came up, Moore considered pros and cons with Kindergarten, Reading Coach, and SIT. It has been decided to not use KEA this school year.


  1. Safety: xs

Everyone needs to be on high-alert, especially during the holiday season. Make sure that parents are stopping by the office. During the instructional day, there shouldn’t be anyone without an escort in the hallways/classrooms, even with badges.

During recess, make sure you go to your assigned areas. The entire grade level should not be in the same area. Teachers do not have recess when students do; make sure you are monitoring your students. Separate yourselves so that students are visible from all areas.

Lockdown drills went well the other day. Everyday, and especially during lockdowns, your front door needs to stay locked. If someone is in the building that doesn’t need to be, unlocked doors are easy access. It is good practice, especially since people have ipads, purses, etc. When you leave your room, make sure it is locked. Doors do not have to be closed, just locked. Outdoor windows need to be open so help can see in. Windows for the door need to be covered. Make sure to step out in the hallway to check. Key needs to check 3rd bathroom, Brown needs to check 4-5 bathroom, Evans check 2nd bathroom. Pull kids in that are in the hallway. Red safety folders for everyone: these will contain class rosters and emergency information. These will also be provided to Enhancement teachers. They will be located near your exit door for quick and easy access. Update roster monthly with new kids/kids that have moved. Put parent information so that parents can be contacted and keep it updated. Information should be available through PowerSchool. Should have in time for November fire drill; make sure to take it with you.

  1. Parent Involvement:

Harvest Gala - November 15. Every grade level will have activities/games to earn money for grade level. Sign up Google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dY_Hqvtw-mngAlZSDwMIfnd3c8hwyE6tcwD9OuLTAxo/edit?usp=sharing

Admission - $2

Tickets will be bought and spent with the grade level. Grade level keeps tickets and cashes in with the PTA at the end of the night.

Reach out to parents for conferences, especially for struggling students. Mrs. Harrell’s job includes helping parents get transportation for conferences, so let her know if you need help.


  1. Data:

The District Data Meeting will be this Wednesday at 1:00. The data points will be TE21, mclass, and NC Check-ins. If the grade level representative for the Data Team has questions they should see Mrs. Brown-Williams. Use the mean for the overall area.


  1. Important Dates:

Samaritan’s Feet - Thursday, November 9. Paper will be sent home Tuesday, Nov. 7 for parents who want to opt out. All teachers, please help your students to understand how to be polite and thankful for what they receive. Part of our job is to teach students how to be gracious and appreciative. Mrs. Troutman suggested doing a writing activity before to say, “Thank you” to those who provided the shoes. Tie it in with our PBIS character trait for the month: Kindness.

  1. Other

Ask Rita Foil about the opt out for social media pictures.

*Smart Goals

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, time-bound, timely, tangible, trackable


Dec. Meeting 2017

December 4, 2017 SIT Meeting Agenda

12-4-17 3:00

In attendance: Moore, Arnold, Guri, Watkins, Brown-Williams, Puckett, Harrell, Anderson, Jarvis, Law, Coble, Ramsey

I.SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Present updated SIP. Dr Jarvis discussed completed goals and upcoming deadlines. Review new objectives and activities.

New objectives:

A1.07

All teachers employ effective classroom management and reinforce classroom rules and procedures by positively teaching them.

A2.05

ALL teachers develop weekly lesson plans based on aligned units of instruction.

A3.04

Unit pre-tests and post-tests results are reviewed by the Instructional Teams to make decisions about curriculum and instructional plans and to flag students in need of intervention or enrichment.

A3.05

The school assesses each student at least 3 times each year to determine progress toward standard-based objectives.

A4.16

The school develops and implements consistent, intentional, and on-going plans to support student transitions for grade-to-grade and level-to-level.

The team provided additional suggestions for actions for this indicator.

B3.01

The LEA/School monitors progress of the extended learning time programs and strategies being implemented, and uses data to inform modifications.

All members approved the new items to be added to the School Improvement Plan. Anderson will add a link for the guest view of the SIP to the school website.

  1. Old Business

III.Literacy Agenda Item

Blended Learning - Not an Option!

Whole group is allowable for mini-lessons, number talks, etc., but the entire 90 minutes should not be whole group. Plan for blended learning and small groups, incorporating writing and vocabulary. Mandatory. There should always be plans for that day when admin comes around to do walk-throughs. Planbooks should be updated for each day.

PD days and Math Training

Trainings with Dr. Watkins are going well. Moore’s goal is to make sure teachers get training/PD during the day every 6 weeks.

Survey (staff and student surveys)

4th-5th should have gotten an email from Panorama about student surveys. This is not a tool that will be used for evaluations/observations, it is just a tool to talk about how things are going in individual classes.

CFA’s - make sure every 2 weeks you can bring CFAs using TE21 to PLCs/create them in PLCs, use them with consistency

Global Modules- everyone school-wide needs to make sure that these are completed. Next due date is in January. Puckett will send a reminder email. Isenberg is a diverse group, and our students deserve to be exposed to a global education. Puckett recommended Spanish courses at RCCC to help teachers understand their students.

Please have your grade levels take a look at this presentation regarding 2 resources paid for by the district (PBL Project and Big Universe) and sign off on last slide (individually) that they have read it.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1sDPj9a7fr4Bimr68hKSb7Agt_0tu4qO422C5ZUOYs-0/edit?usp=sharing

Sign off on the final slide that you have reviewed the information.

Anderson will send an email asking about the app(Big Universe), because there have been issues with students logging in.

  1. Safety:Internet Safety: add something to lesson plans before breaks to let students know how to stay safe on the internet. Anderson will get updates if they download inappropriate items, but not if they look at them. School filters are on the iPads. Try to be as proactive as possible and teach kids safety.

Care Team: If you notice that students are acting “off”, changes in behavior, let Harrell/Moore/Law/Brown-Williams know so that they can investigate the situation. Be attentive to what is going on with your students. As a state employee you cannot withhold information. You are required to report and it should come from the adult who knows the information. All adults need to be mindful of the environment in which they are discussing these types of issues so that information is not shared that should not be shared.

PREP: Use the PREP program as it was designed to be used. Teach your behaviors in class, use your classroom management system, but do utilize PREP.

These two forms need to go home with students:

Release of student Work to Webpages & Media Form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZ7locjYrNfx958aiBZx3AHUcUNEK1_8/view?usp=sharing

Student Directory Limitation (Opt out) Form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m6Wus7U85r26aVxonw5-r8WFvAG2cIp3/view?usp=sharing

Office will make copies to send home on a Wednesday before Christmas.

  1. Parent Involvement: Curriculum Night feedback: survey will be sent out to the parents. Survey will be sent to teachers as well to see what they need. Make sure that you address the “norms” in the survey, not the outliers.

Monthly Newsletters- Standards to be covered for weekly content areas, important dates for the month, Student highlights

  1. Data: TE21: Review data with Harris and Jarvis. Anderson created a Podcast on how to create and review TE21 tests.
  1. Important Dates:

A.December 12 Volunteer Holiday Celebration at 10:30 in Media Center. Can any classes perform for this???? Ms. Price can work with some students on Christmas songs.

B.Service Above Self Dec. 7, 2017 @ Catawba College 6:30

C.Comforting the Community w/Blankets for the Homeless Dec. 11, 2017 @ 2:30(p) - 5:00(p)

D.Catawba Basketball Mentors will be on campus Dec. 12. Send some names of male students in grades 2 - 5 that would like to eat lunch with them 11:00(a) - 11:50(a)

E.K-2 (9:15- 9:45) & 3-5 (10:00-10:30) Dodgeball game with Catawba basketball coaches & players for Gator Cards Dec. 15, 2017

F.Day party for Achieve 3000/Smarty Ants Dec. 15, 2017

G.Gator Den open on Dec. 15th

H.Catawba Basketball game for all 3-5 kids who meet the Achieve 3000 goal. December 19th 11:00am - 2:00pm (Moore will schedule coverage for teachers having planning that day)

I.First United Methodist will hand out the Love Bags on Dec. 20th

J.Dec. 18-20 PBIS Winter Spirit Week

      1. Monday: A Long Winter’s Nap PJs
      2. Tuesday: Ugly Sweater Day
      3. Wednesday: The Best Gift is You (dress like a gift)
  1. Other

Would anyone like to act as Student Government Association advisor this year? Here’s the SGA constitution: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23H9Q3oMwHjNVZ5TFBEQTJvMVU/view?usp=sharing

Moore agreed to take over.

Yearbook is currently $17. The price will go up to $20 on January 1. Ordering information https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23H9Q3oMwHjc3I5TF9Nay1NN3c

Advertise as a “Christmas Special” since the price will go up in January, tweet, put on the marquise, ConnectEd, classroom newsletters/Dojo, school website, etc.

Clubs after Christmas: Could we just do Wednesday clubs (if all advisors agree) EVERY Wednesday throughout February and March? Some teachers will have SAT on Wednesdays, Moore brought up that advisors can decide what day their clubs will meet. Puckett asked that advisors take more control over their permission slips and dates. Pucket will send the information to Dr. Gardner, will create a google doc to communicate. Club advisors will need to inform the cafeteria how many students are staying for their club and on what day. Make sure that club members are going to get their supper before coming to clubs (2:30-2:45).



Adjourned: 4:15

Next Meeting: January 8, 2018

Jan. Meeting 2018

January 16, 2018 SIT Meeting Agenda

1-16-18 3:00

In attendance: Law, Guri, Morle, Hunter, Coble, Harris, Moore, Puckett, Anderson, Brown-Williams, Ramsey, Watkins

I.SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Feedback from the State-very positive - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hGYP5JvyFhOiNuOg0M-yITIpYROAVn8g

A2.04-Unit plans-2 per year-1 ELA and 1 Math-due by end of year-limited progress towards this goal-All teachers are supposed to have 1 ELA unit and 1 Math unit completed. Math units were begun on the Planning Day but they were not completed.

C2.01-short and long term professional development plan-overdue-Admin Team just needs to meet and get this done.

E1.06-overdue-plans, dates, and agendas for Title I meetings for the year-Dr. Jarvis has some of this. She will let Mrs. Troutman and Mr. Moore know what else is needed.

  1. Old Business

Participate Modules - Twitter chat Jan. 17 from 8:00-8:30! #CollaborativePD https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsEdu/status/953253856158285824

PBLs

  1. Literacy Agenda Item:

A.Achieve 3000 - 2-5 will have a different model to work with, students are reading the articles but not passing the assignments. There will be a cap on how many students can attempt. Students will read 3-6 a week. The average of their articles needs to be 75%. For the reward party, it will be that times the number of weeks. Someone will come into the classes by the beginning of next week to explain this to the children. School got the district banner/award! Students should have at least 20 minutes a day to do Achieve 3000.

B. Vocabulary - We must make sure we are doing more with vocabulary in our lessons. Anderson will be working with us for PD on how to use technology to build vocabulary. Spelling/Vocabulary weekly is ok, but there are better ways to get kids to use vocabulary in writing and speaking.

C. PBL’s/ Current Events - Kids are expected to do PBLs district-wide. Meet with grade levels and discuss what PBLs can be done for the units you are working on. At individual data meetings, be prepared to discuss which ones you have done/plan to do. See Anderson, Jarvis, Puckett for help if needed. 2 per year.

D.Blended Paradigm - Everyone should be in full group rotation model guided math/reading.

  1. Safety:

A.Student Dress and Attire - Assess children’s clothing as they are coming in, make sure they are dressed appropriately for the weather. Be alert to signs/signals that something may not be right.

B.Visitors in the building - Parents may come in, eat with kids, but they do not need to be in your room without going to the office first and without a scheduled conference. Anytime anyone comes to your room, you are responsible for them (ie lockdown situations, etc.). Do not put yourself in an unsafe situation.

C.Student information and Confidentiality - Mrs. Hartsfield has sent out forms to update student information.

D.Cyber Safety - Use the tools you have at your disposal (apple classroom, guided access, self service, etc.) to keep your kids safe and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

  1. Parent Involvement:

A.PTA Events - PTA calendar will be coming out for the rest of the year.

B.Test Proctors - We need as many proctors as possible, so if you know anyone that would be a good fit for the school (parents, etc), let Mrs. Brown-Williams know.

  1. Data:

A.Individual Data meeting dates - These will be sent out Friday. Ms. Harris is working on the information that will need to be shared at these meetings. Goal is to start meetings next week. PDPs need to be completed as well.

B.NCFE - NCFE is SS and Science in 4th grade and SS in 5th grade tests that are taken at the end of the year. Because of our Restart status, we can opt out of NCFEs. Teachers could create PBLs or Capstone projects to do in place of a final exam. After discussion, 4th and 5th grade teachers have decided they do not want to keep NCFEs.

  1. Important Dates:

A.Black History Program - Friday, February 23 around 1:00, school-wide. If you have anything that you would like to add to the program, let Mr. Moore and/or Mrs. Puckett know

B.Curriculum Night- March 21st 5:30 - 7:00. Performance beforehand from K and 1st. Every grade level should have their 2nd Quarter Global project displayed.

C.Career Day- March, 22nd 8:00 - 11:00ish. Give students access to professionals that they may not come across on a daily basis. If you know any professionals that can participate, let Law and/or Harrell know. Law will send out a Google Doc. for participants and for snacks/food for the presenters.

D.Cultural Appreciation Day - April 24th- Lots of food from different regions given by Nutrition dept., Moore has got passports for the students.

E.Ed Camp - March 24th – Registration @ 8:00 / sessions start at 9:00 / @ Salisbury High School / 4 student leaders speaking (1 session will be “What I wish my teachers knew) / Breakfast & lunch provided / can be used as a trade-off day for a bad weather day - More information forthcoming.

F.Somewhere around Teacher Appreciation Time – May 10th – (a Thursday night) / Have a committee do something where the students do a short video clip on “Why I love my teacher” / Dinner @ Salisbury Mall / choose 2 for our school to be presented at the dinner & those teachers & their spouses/other will be invited to the dinner – Principals will be invited

G.Digital Promise – April 26th (here) – We’ll get about ½ of the visitors (app. 100 – 150) & Rock Hill will have the other ½. Make sure our Marque has “Welcome Digital Promise” during that time. If you would like visitors to come see what you are doing that is technology-related, let Mr. Moore know. http://digitalpromise.org/

  1. Other
  • Have students write thank you notes to St. John’s Lutheran for funding Scholastic books by January 31.
  • Next book fair Feb. 12-21
  • OK for Kindergarten TAs to continue helping during enhancements
  • Who’s figuring out who receives next Achieve bracelets? Mr. Anderson and Mr. Moore will take care of it.
  • Sign up to be after school club advisors -- (note that clubs are for grades 3-5) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OLOU8_83oUw-vxDiFL6PskAY7HB4bk0W5xq0OZMCH-w/edit?usp=sharing
  • Herff Jones Yearbook is now $20. Please submit your candid photos to the HJeSHARE app www.hjeshare.com. Our password is GoGators. Mrs. Puckett will let SIT know when these pictures are due by. SIT rep will make sure grade levels know to send pictures to Mr. Anderson for editing.
  • New Library books! Please share with your grade levels. (Please see table below.)

Vendor

Description

Book list link

Links of interest

Bound to Stay Bound

Includes books that have been nominated for the NC Children's Book Awards (NCCBA), American Library Association (ALA) book award winners including the 2017 Caldecott, Newbery, Coretta Scott King, Theodore Seuss Giesel, and Pura Bel Pre Award winners and honor books.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SYZ1AGVO4a9SpPbszLE_cYDD9mbyzbA5

NCCBA activity guide:

http://nccba.blogspot.com/p/we-are-very-pleased-to-announce.html

ALA winners 2017:

http://www.ala.org/alsc/2017-alsc-book-media-award-winners

Follet Library Sources

Includes titles that have been requested by students and staff to support the curriculum including collections of Aesops fables, multicultural books, grammar-focused books, and character education books. The list also includes book sets from popular children’s series including Nancy Drew, Amelia Bedelia, Keena Ford, and Jackie Ha Ha; 35 ebooks -- mostly high interest, but some with curricular focus; a DVD of children’s classic Charlotte’s Web; replacement of damaged popular or well-reviewed books, etc.

Print: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vr5swjm0NjOD8krAo1ATDFaBa6XVV2VC

More Print: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZYrVczhBIl7lD6pbt997MPEU-dahUUHO

Ebooks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NR7304DEpbcYQ_kqPtJBKOjKuTMfpgyj/view?usp=sharing

Junior Library Guild: (waiting for order?)

Monthly subscription where we will receive the latest well reviewed titles in children’s literature. We will receive 1 book from each of 5 categories: nonfiction early elementary, easy reading plus, independent readers, intermediate readers, elementary science

JLG webpage: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com

Nonfiction Early Elementary: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/books/level/?level=NEK

Easy Reading Plus: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/books/level/?level=Ep

Independent Readers: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/books/level/?level=I

Intermediate Readers: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/books/level/?level=A

Elementary Science: https://www.juniorlibraryguild.com/books/level/?level=SCEp

  • NC Check-ins next week, Feb 5 will begin ACCESS testing for ESL students. Dibels and DORF need to be done for our school by the 22nd, for the district they absolutely must be done by the 24th.

Adjourned: 4:08

Next Meeting: February 5, 2018

FEB. Meeting 2018

February 5, 2018 SIT Meeting Agenda

2-5-18 3:00

In attendance: Marvin Moore, Crystal Brown-Williams, Heather Nardone, Toshuka Morle, Bonnie Harrell, Candis Coble, Chastity Ramsey, Courtney Puckett, Deanne Law, Sonya Arnold, Nick Anderson, Nita Jarvis

I.SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Teachers need to continue working on unit plans and PBLs. We must continue doing the 2 Unit Plans to be completed by the end of the year. One in reading and one in math. Also must do PBL units. It would be wise to combine the 2. If you need help, see Jarvis or Harris.

  1. Old Business

PBLs-need to do these by end of year

April 21-Salisbury Community Day with a STEM focus-more info as date gets closer

  1. Literacy Agenda Item:

Continue blended learning. PD opportunities: Global is part of literacy PD. Use Mr. Anderson as a resource and as a PD resource. Will need Technology CEUs now beginning this year!

  1. Safety:

A.Visitor Policy: parents are welcome to have lunch with students in the cafeteria. No visitors should be going to classrooms. They must have appointments to come to your room and must be accompanied by an adult. Parents who want to volunteer need to see Mrs. Harrell and go through the Volunteer Program. All school visitors must display their visitor’s pass at all times. If any staff member sees an adult without a pass, direct them to the office. This policy is for the safety of the students and staff. Mr. Moore will have Ms. Harrell to send out a list of volunteers so teachers will know who is allowed. No volunteer should be coming to classrooms without Mrs. Harrell notifying the teacher in advance. If parents are having a party, they will come to the office first and the office will call down to the room before they are allowed to come to the room. When parties are over, call the office for an escort.

B.Question: when will the new office access be installed? Not sure but it was originally scheduled for the spring. Mr. Moore would like to enclose the area near the trailer and the PREP classroom.

  1. Parent Involvement:

PTA had a board meeting recently. There are several good things coming up. Walk for Wisdom in April. Students will get sponsors and walk all week. There will be an early release day that week so there will be a celebration that day. Cultural Appreciation Week will happen all week. This is also Teacher Appreciation Week and it will have a global perspective incorporated into it.

  1. Data: Individual Data Meeting

Data meetings have been going well. Be sure to intentionally plan for deficits in the data. Discuss in PLCs. Anyone who works with your students, teachers need to have conversations with these individuals in order to know what they are working on together. All support people now have access to all programs and student data. Teachers are the Core and everyone else is the MORE. If your name is on that child’s data then you need to know what is going on with that child when is not with you. Volunteers have no access to student data. Teachers must provide them with materials for instruction when needed. Teachers might just want to check with the volunteers to see how the students are doing when they are with them.

All grade levels will receive the district data comparisons for growth. Mr. Moore wants to see our school exceed growth this year.

  1. Important Dates:

A.Black History Program - Friday, February 23 around 1:00, school-wide. If you have anything that you would like to add to the program, let Mr. Moore and/or Mrs. Puckett know.

B.Curriculum Night- March 21st 5:30 - 7:00. Performance beforehand from K and 1st. Every grade level should have their 2nd Quarter Global project displayed.

C.Career Day- March, 22nd 8:00 - 11:00ish. Give students access to professionals that they may not come across on a daily basis. If you know any professionals that can participate, let Law and/or Harrell know. Law will send out a Google Doc. for participants and for snacks/food for the presenters.

D.Cultural Appreciation Day - April 24th- Lots of food from different regions given by Nutrition dept., Moore has got passports for the students.

E.Ed Camp - March 24th – Registration @ 8:00 / sessions start at 9:00 / @ Salisbury High School / 4 student leaders speaking (1 session will be “What I wish my teachers knew) / Breakfast & lunch provided / can be used as a trade-off day for a bad weather day - More information forthcoming.

F.Somewhere around Teacher Appreciation Time – May 10th – (a Thursday night) / Have a committee do something where the students do a short video clip on “Why I love my teacher” / Dinner @ Salisbury Mall / choose 2 for our school to be presented at the dinner & those teachers & their spouses/other will be invited to the dinner – Principals will be invited

G.Digital Promise – April 26th (here) – We’ll get about ½ of the visitors (app. 100 – 150) & Rock Hill will have the other ½. Make sure our Marque has “Welcome Digital Promise” during that time. If you would like visitors to come see what you are doing that is technology-related, let Mr. Moore know. http://digitalpromise.org/

H.March 19-23 - TE21 testing dates and NC Check-in

  1. Other
  • Mr. Moore shared some of the things he learned last week when he was at a conference in Florida. K-5 vocabulary was the same for content areas. 4 Cs: Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Communication, Community (?). STEM focus across the school and in all classrooms. Would like to have summer planning to integrate Reading, Social Studies, and Science as well as Math and Science. He knows folks go on vacation but he wants to see what times will work best for each grade level.
  • Students in Tier II: stay on top of those interventions. Let Mr. Moore know if you need any help with having time to do this. Tier II interventions must be completed with fidelity before students are able to move to Tier III.
  • When folks visit your classroom, don’t stop what you are doing, just keep teaching! It’s wonderful that when more than one adult is in the room, visitors do not know who the teacher is! That’s great because everyone is working with students.
  • We are a Restart School which gives us charter-like status. The state has given low-performing schools the option to do whatever they feel they need to do to come out of low-performing status. We have met growth for 3 years but we are still a D school. We will need to have 2 years of exceeding growth or being above a D in order to no longer qualify as low-performing. We will not get any more money but we can be very flexible in other ways. Question: What do we need to do differently to get our kids on a level playing field with other students in the state?
  • Next week is Love the Bus Week. It would be nice if students made cards for the bus drivers. Please give these to Mrs. Brown-Williams by the 12th.
  • Math PD and Staff PD/Planning dates will be sent out soon. Some PD may need to take place on Thursday afternoons.

Adjourned: 3:55

Next Meeting: March 5, 2018

MAR. Meeting 2018

March 5 , 2018 SIT Meeting Agenda

3-5-18 3:00


In attendance: Marvin Moore, Nita Jarvis, Karen Puckett, Toshuka Morle, Lindley Guri, Jocelyn Watkins, Rachel Karriker, Nick Anderson, Sonya Arnold, Chastity Ramsey, Candis Coble, Crystal Brown-Williams


  1. SIP: Review Calendar and discuss upcoming deadlines

Grade levels are completing their units during their Planning Days.

We have now completed A3.05-includes training staff on TE21, analyzing the data,

and data conferences and C2.01-includes planning for PD.

Need to look at A4.16 and begin to make plans for this indicator’s objectives. Dr. Jarvis went over this indicator and the team discussed evidences needed and who needed to sent them to her.

  1. Old Business

PBLs-need to do these by end of year-each grade level should have 2-some grade levels have done this-a PBL is just having students to solve a problem or do a project based lesson or unit-teachers need to document when they do these things. Global projects can be used as PBL projects. Where do these evidences need to be housed? Suggested to create a place in Schoology to drop them. Mr. Anderson will create this and notify staff of where to find it. Evidences of our PBLs must be taken to the Community Event on Saturday, April 21 at Horizons. Dr. Cindy Moss-STEM Boss- will be at this event.

April 21-Salisbury Community Day with a STEM focus-more info as date gets closer. For all RSS schools. Our responsibility is to have some students to lead discussions on their PBLs from 4th and 5th grade.


  1. Literacy Agenda Item:
    1. Blended Learning should still be happening along with small group instruction.
    2. Teachers who can need to add books to the Free Little Library out front.
    3. Tutoring-2nd-3rd grade teachers-need to push this with students and parents. Need more students to sign up for tutoring. Also have school on Saturday from 8:30-11:30. Need about 25 students on Saturdays. Last week we had only 8. Let parents know that tutoring is available.
    4. Puckett
      1. Students can check their library records using these steps
      2. Staff can check their library records using these steps
      3. Writing letters to faith partners and Kiwanis to get books for summer reading (sort of like Give 5 Read 5). Will cite findings of this article when making request. (Waiting to hear if St. John’s will fund 5 books for every 3rd grader -- $2000). Does SIT team have ideas of other possible partners we could ask in addition to this list? Based on $5 a book via Reading Warehouse or Scholastic Warehouse sale, will ask for 3 books for student at this price structure:
        1. $400 for 1 book for a grade level
        2. $1200 for 3 books per grade level
      4. Reading Games for Grades 4-5 -- Students who are signed up have an extra week to complete each of their projects. New deadlines are on this document. I am waiting for 1-sheet summaries from most. Students may come in during their recess and lunch on Monday-Wednesday. I will share whatever supplies I have. (Although I’ll do my best to hang around during that time of day, they know to make sure I’m in the Media Center before they start working on stuff.) Alternative to Showbie????
      5. District Reading Challenge due April 11. K-2 challenge page in English and Spanish.
      6. Reading Without Walls -- a reading promotion that emphasizes diversity -- runs during the month of April. Can we make this align with our diversity week? Could lower grades incorporate into read-alouds? Students who read 3 books that follow this criteria get a certificate: 1) Read a book about a character who doesn’t look like you or live like you; 2) Read a book about a topic you don’t know much about; 3) Read a book in a format that you don’t normally read for fun (a chapter book, a graphic novel, a book in verse or an audio book). Puckett will put out lots of books that fit the criteria. Take to Raz kids links. (Ms. Karriker will help Mrs. Puckett.) Kids on morning news publicize what they’ve read or what they’re planning to read. Staff should participate and publicize as well. Ice cream party for top class in each grade level. (Develop a criteria. Put class rosters in Google sheets.) Teachers could do some kind of chart in their rooms to encourage their students to read. Do a kick off right before Spring Break so students can read over Spring Break. Mrs. Brown-Williams also has some pizza party dates available. End on April 30. May 10-11 (3 classes per day have a pizza lunch w/ice cream for dessert. Pizza from district.)
      7. Read Across America week was great! Knox students have a protected “Drop Everything and Read” moment built into their ELA block for 20 minutes a day. Should we do this? Some schools do this daily. Suggested that maybe we do this once per week school-wide. This could be tied to our Literacy goal. How do we make students accountable? Some kids were reading last week but not all of them were. Have students share out about what they just read, need some type of parameters, do a quick write in their reading journals, possible 15 minutes reading and 5 minutes writing.


III. Safety:

  1. New rosters will be provided for the red folders.
  2. Teachers should be in their rooms before 7:05. Students do not come until 7:05. It is a safety issue if students are not being supervised by an adult.
  3. Conversation in halls-adults need to be mindful of their voice levels and the amount of adult conversation taking place in the hall. Not appropriate for us to expect students to be on level 0 if we aren’t. Students are listening to adults having conversations so we need to be aware of this. We also need to be aware of WHAT and HOW we speak to students. Do not lose your cool. Be calm.
  4. Be aware of visitors in the building. Schools in our area have been on lockdowns recently. Know the procedures for the different lockdowns when you are outside. Yellow and orange need to return to the building. Red means to hide in the tree line. Goal is to be away from the hallway door. Doors need to stay locked and closed at all times. Suggested to look at what Karriker has on her door and provide to all classrooms (it has velcro and directions for a sub). Bathrooms need to be checked as well. Mr. Moore needs to check to be sure there are master keys available for subs.
  5. Changes to front office will be taking place soon as well as changes to door entry with ID badges.
  6. Puckett
  1. Red folders for enhancement teachers? Ms. Hartsfield will print the rosters for enhancement staff.
  2. Media doors to lock in yellow/orange lock down-ones on 3rd grade hallway are locked when they close but ones on 4th grade side do not. Consider putting a panic bar on those doors.


  1. Parent Involvement:
    1. Puckett
      1. Need thumbnail pages back from several folks for yearbook (Can make a new copy if needed.) These need to be turned in by Wednesday.
      2. Need classroom candids put into yearbook using these instructions
      3. K-Kids canned food drive through March 9


  1. Data:
    1. Puckett
      1. Need data from other schools for Gator Reading Club-will discuss with Mr. Moore about getting this.
  1. Important Dates:


  1. March 19-23 - TE21 testing dates and NC Check-in
  2. Curriculum Night- March 21st 5:30 - 7:00. Performance beforehand from K and 1st. Every grade level should have their 2nd Quarter Global project displayed.
  3. Ed Camp - March 24th – Registration @ 8:00 / sessions start at 9:00 / @ Salisbury High School / 4 student leaders speaking (1 session will be “What I wish my teachers knew) / Breakfast & lunch provided / can be used as a trade-off day for a bad weather day - More information forthcoming.
  4. Salisbury Community Day - Saturday, April 21st 11:00 - 3:00 @ Horizons
  5. Cultural Appreciation Day - April 24th- Lots of food from different regions given by Nutrition dept., Moore has passports for the students. Walk for Wisdom April 27.
  6. Digital Promise – April 26th (here) – We’ll get about ½ of the visitors (app. 100 – 150) & Rock Hill will have the other ½. Make sure our Marque has “Welcome Digital Promise” during that time. If you would like visitors to come see what you are doing that is technology-related, let Mr. Moore know. http://digitalpromise.org/
  7. Somewhere around Teacher Appreciation Time – May 10th – (a Thursday night) / Have a committee do something where the students do a short video clip on “Why I love my teacher” / Dinner @ Salisbury Mall / choose 2 for our school to be presented at the dinner & those teachers & their spouses/other will be invited to the dinner – Principals will be invited
  8. Benchmark Testing begins May 7.
  9. EOG testing begins May 30.
  1. Other
    1. Emails that come during the day to teachers-teachers are not expected to respond to those during the day but they are expected to respond after school hours.
    2. Summer Planning for developing integrated units in June with Ms. Harris and Dr. Jarvis. Dr. Jarvis sent out a sign-up calendar for grade levels to indicate when they want to do theirs. Teachers will paid for coming on 3 days.
    3. Puckett
      1. Cancelling Buy 1 Get 1 free book fair for April. Future of book fairs?If dates for events could be coordinated to correspond with each other it might be better. At some schools, the PTA helps with the book fair. Staff members are encouraged to shop at the book fair. Book fairs have to be scheduled a year in advance. In June, plan to meet to create a year long schedule.
      2. Questions regarding 3rd quarter Participate modules? Need to be getting these done.
      3. N.C. Teacher Working Conditions Survey-will need to have a meeting to hand out the slips for this survey. Administration uses the results of these surveys when planning for school improvement.


Adjourned: 4:15

Next Meeting: April 9, 2018