Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy
2017 - 2018
Our purpose is to enhance the Hurley community by using our professional skills and talents to promote a positive learning environment in which all students learn through meaningful academic, social, and emotional experiences. At Hurley, we believe that the education of children is a cooperative effort between parents and schools. We will involve parents in the following ways:
- Parents, students, and staff will be asked to sign a School – Parent Agreement at the beginning of the year.
- An annual meeting will be conducted in the Fall to inform parents about Title I, our school and grade level expectations, and important back to school information.
- Educational opportunities will be provided to parents that will include parent workshops, curriculum nights, informative sessions, and take home activities.
- Conferences will be held in the Fall and on an as needed basis.
- Weekly folders, newsletters, Connect Ed messages, and the school website will inform parents and students on special activities, events, and programs.
- Parents will be provided opportunities to formulate suggestions by attending SIT (School Improvement Team) meetings, complete parent surveys, being involved in PTA, and attending conferences.
- Reports on student’s progress will be through quarterly progress reports and report cards.
- Parents will encourage responsible and appropriate use of technology.
Hurley Elementary has been identified as a Focus School by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Focus Schools are identified as a result of the achievement level of “in-school gaps between the highest achieving and lowest achieving subgroups” in terms of proficiency (reading/math) over a number of years or, schools within subgroup proficiency scores less than 50% over a number of years.