Doing What is Right for Children
Through Teacher-Led Design Teams
The 'Renewal School System' model provides charter-like flexibilities for all 35 Rowan-Salisbury Schools. Teachers will be empowered to lead, design, and create how instruction is offered to students. This allows us to do things we never thought possible in traditional public schools such as:
Opportunity for teacher-led teams to design new curriculum with the possibility to be exempt from some standardized testing.
Opportunity to receive state funds in one lump sum, rather than in multiple restricted funds that allow us to use our money in the way we need to support our students.
Opportunity to hire teachers with industry expertise to teach in their areas of strength regardless of their teaching license.
Opportunity to create a school calendar that meets the needs of students, parents, staff, community and the designed curriculum.
An Innovative School Means More for Students
Funds & personnel will be reallocated to support unique learning opportunities, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing school choice opportunities that align with a focus on student interests, needs, passions, & personal life goals
- Focusing on a student's mastery of skills
- Re-examining student accountability measures including eliminating the NC Final Exams
- Hiring teachers with industry expert experience
- Adjusting calendars to meet curriculum & community needs
- Increasing the focus on the community values in community area schools
- Increasing extracurricular opportunities, such as coding, film & production, robotics, maker space, etc.
- Offering additional exploratory classes & field study experiences
- Offering high school credits in middle school
- Hiring experts in the field to provide instruction in such areas as mindfulness, strength-discipline-Karate, dance, theater, etc.
- Providing foreign language at elementary schools
- increasing student leadership programs
- Increasing teacher planning time & professional development
NC General Assembly
June 14, 2018 - NCGA Passed House Bill 986
- Passed in the House Education Committee
- Passed through Rules Committee
- Passed in the Senate
- Passed in the House
Allows Rowan-Salisbury the opportunity to become the first 'Renewal School System' with charter-like flexibilities in NC
Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education
- June 18, 2018 - 'Renewal School System' Resolution is presented
- June 28, 2018 - Approval of the 'Renewal School System' Resolution
NC State Board of Education
- July 15, 2018 - The RSS 'Renewal School System' Plan submitted to State Board of Education
- August 2, 2018 - Approval for RSS to be a 'Renewal School System'
When Do We Begin?
The first year will be planning; however, some schools may start implementing different pieces of their plan immediately.
How Long Can RSS Remain a Renewal School System?
Renewal status will be reviewed in 2023 with annual reports to the NC State Superintendent.
Why was RSS Chosen?
- Innovative practices
- Greatest % of restart schools
- More than 10,000 students
- Receive low-wealth funds
What Will Not Change?
We will still:
- Operate under the RSS Board of Education
- Receive State & Federal Funds
- Administer the same services for Exceptional Children
- Follow State Standards
- Provide 1:1 technology devices & infrastructure
- Provide Meals - including Free & Reduced meal programs
- Provide Transportation