On October 26, 2020 the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education approved moving forward with the closures for Faith and Enochville elementary schools at the end of the school year. The decision includes the reassignment of students based on the plan presented in the closure studies. This action was the result of many years of studies, discussions, community committee recommendations, and public hearings.
District and school leaders are committed to taking great care in assuring that this as smooth a transition as possible for these school families that include our students, teachers and staff, parents, and their communities.
Following the board’s decision, the details of how this transition are being finalized and will be shared as soon as possible. However, here is a tentative outline that is currently being further developed:
- Parents should know by mid-January the school where their children will be assigned to attend in the 2021-2022 school year.
- Staff - both certified and classified – will be placed in other positions within the district for the 2021-2022 school year. There will be meetings and preference surveys conducted during the upcoming months. Opportunities for transfers will occur as other RSS staff resign and retire.
- Students and staff would be moving to one of the following:
- Landis & Millbridge elementary schools will welcome Enochville’s students
- Granite Quarry, Rockwell, Koontz and Shive elementary schools will welcome Faith’s students
- Both Faith and Enochville families will remain part of one of the district’s six community school areas:
- Faith students will be in the East or Southeast Community Area
- Enochville students will be in the South Community Area
- We are fortunate to have strong community area schools that support each other and where the Faith and Enochville school families will be a welcome partner
- The new reassignment schools will be reaching out to welcome students in a variety of ways such as possible school tours and other welcoming events
While this is a challenging time to say goodbye to traditions, our community strongly stands together and looks forward to new possibilities and opportunities for our students and staff as we grow in providing the best educational environment for our children.