Our students’ safety is the Rowan-Salisbury School System Transportation Department’s top priority. Please take the time to review the following materials concerning school bus safety. The North Carolina School Buys Safety website provides valuable safety tips for students, parents, and all drivers.
State Laws for Drivers
- School Bus Stop Law
- Driver Crossing Procedures
- Student Crossing Procedures (English), Student Crossing Procedures (Spanish)
North Carolina school districts will be using a standard crossing signal to help protect students when they need to cross the street to board the bus or after exiting the bus. The school bus driver will first hold their palm out indicating that students should WAIT before stepping into the roadway. After the driver has checked for safety, he or she will then give students a “thumbs up” indicating that the students should then check for traffic and then cross the street. The driver will indicate the direction to walk by pointing with his or her index finger.
Tools for parents
- Parent Safety Tips
- National Association for Pupil Transportation School bus safety information.
- Position papers by the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation.
- U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Website for school bus safety.
- Operation Lifesaver: Safety Website about railroad crossings.
Tools for Students
- Visit Schoolastic’s Magic School Bus web site with lots of fun activities for students.
- National Safety Council: Back to school safety tips.
- Safety video for students
- Student Safety Tips