Substitute teachers fulfill the duties of a teacher in his or her absence and can work up to 29.5 hours each week. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and substitute teacher trainings are held regularly throughout the year.
An application does not guarantee employment with the Rowan-Salisbury School System.
Become a Substitute Teacher
- Fill our our online application to be a substitute teacher here.
- All substitutes must have at least a high school diploma or GED.
- Receive approval from Human Resources. Upon approval, applicants will be notified by phone and/or email of further requirements (ex. high school diploma documentation, transcripts, health and drug screening using the Occudx Medical Applicant Processing Forms (MAPS), TB test and background authorization).
- Complete an approved Substitute Training Course and/or orientation. (This course is provided by RSS at no cost to applicant.)Applications for substitute teachers are now being accepted for the 2017-2018 school year.
Substitute Renewal Process
Each year, substitute teachers must renew their sub badge. Eligible substitutes will receive an email outlining the NEW PROCESS for Substitute Teacher Renewal for the 2017-2018 school year. This process must be completed no later than Friday, September 15, 2017. The email will provide detailed instructions for renewal requirements as outlined below:
- Review current and updated district information and policies.
- District Information (Guidelines for Substitutes; Health Matters; Concussion Information; Hypo/Hyperglycemia; Employee Resource Center; SAMS Smartfind Packet; and Lockdown)
- Board of Education Policies (Employee Grievances; Discrimination, Harassment, and Bullying Complaint Procedure; Prohibition Against Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying; Drug-Free and Alcohol-Free Workplace; and Technology Responsible Use)
- Successfully complete the Substitute Teacher Quiz on District Information and Policies with a required standard of 80% correct. Please note that the Substitute Teacher Quiz must be completed and scored at 80% correct before you can receive the following forms. Forms will come by email after successful completion of the quiz.
- Complete Letter of Intent to Return 2017-2018 Form.
- Complete 2017-2018 Substitute Renewal Profile Sheet (only return if you have changes)
- Complete Substitute Teacher Badge Renewal Process
Forms for Substitute Teachers