Substitute teachers fulfill the duties of a teacher in his or her absence and can work up to 29.5 hours each week. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and substitute teacher trainings are held regularly throughout the year.
An application does not guarantee employment with the Rowan-Salisbury School System.
Become a Substitute Teacher
- Fill out our online application to be a substitute teacher here.
- All substitutes must have at least a high school diploma or GED.
- Receive approval from Human Resources. Upon approval, applicants will be notified by phone and/or email of further requirements (ex. high school diploma documentation, transcripts, health and drug screening using the Occudx Medical Applicant Processing Forms (MAPS), TB test and background authorization).
- Complete an approved substitute training course and/or orientation. (This course is provided by RSS at no cost to applicant.) Applications for substitute teachers are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 school year.
2018-19 Returning Substitute Teachers
The following information is for returning substitute teachers that the Rowan Salisbury School System has the intent of recertifying for the 2018-2019 school year. Please carefully read the following information to prepare for the Substitute Teacher Recertification Quiz.
- Substitute Teacher Guidelines
- Substitute Checklist… Preparing for the Day
- Substitute Your Way to Success
- Helpful Reminders
- Health Matters
- Board of Education Policies:
- Employee Resource Center (website, instructions)
- SAMS Smartfind
- Watch School Lockdown Guidelines (video to be viewed during renewal process)
Certified Substitute Teachers
If you are a certified substitute in the process of renewing your teaching license, please click here for more information.
Forms for Substitute Teachers
- 2018-19 Pay Calendar
- 2018-19 Bell Times for Subs (Coming Soon)