Welcome to the Instructional Programs website. We serve grades K-12 in the areas of Media, AIG, and the Arts.
Please use the tabs below to learn more about our programs
The purpose of the Rowan-Salisbury School System’s Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted Education Program is to provide differentiated educational services for Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted students that comply with Article 9B of the state of North Carolina General Statues. It is our goal to provide a rigorous and challenging curriculum that will prepare our students for work and life in the 21st century.
Definition of AIG
Article 9B of the state of North Carolina General Statues defines Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted students as those who:
- Perform or show the potential to perform at substantially high levels of accomplishment when compared with others of their age, experience, or environment;
- Exhibit high performance capability in intellectual areas, specific academic fields, or in both intellectual areas and specific academic fields; and
- Require differentiated education services beyond those ordinarily provided by the regular education program.
AIG Identification Pathways:
99 percentile on aptitude test.
Sum of Percentiles for Aptitude and Achievement score is greater than or equal to 183
Three of the four criteria must be met to qualify with this pathway:
- Achievement test score of 93 percentile or higher
- Grade of “A” in reading and/or math for the year/semester
- Combined score of 178-182 on Pathway Two plus an average of 88 percent (304) on the Learner Inventory
In today's globally competitive world, innovative thinking and creativity is essential for all students. High quality, standards-based instruction in the arts helps develop these skills and effectively engages, retains, and prepares future-ready students. All of the arts are taught by licensed arts educators and integrated throughout the curriculum.
The Rowan-Salisbury School System offers Art and Music classes to all elementary students. In middle and high school, students have the opportunity to participate in Art, Band, and Chorus. Some high schools also offer Theater and Dance.
Welcome to the Media Services Department for the Rowan-Salisbury School System
K-12 libraries are no longer places that just house books and are quiet! Today's media center is the instructional hub of the school and the media coordinator serves as an instructional partner. In RSS, we are transforming our media centers and updating them with more up-to-date and student-friendly furnishing. We want all students to have an inviting place to enjoy as they work, create, and read!
Please use the link above to visit your school's Destiny site for all the resources that are currently available in both print and digital format.