Your role as a volunteer is significant. It is our hope that your involvement in Rowan-Salisbury Schools will be as rewarding for you as it will be for our students and school personnel. Please see the following link for the training schedule:
You may join us at any of the 1-hour sessions and sign-up is not necessary.
We Need You to Volunteer!
We are always looking for community members with a heart for children to help us provide Exceptional Education Every Day. We qualify Volunteers in two tiers based training. Background checks are required for both tiers.
Parents who want to participate in their child’s school activities are not required to have a background check for those activities.
Why do we need to enhance our volunteer program?
- Increases self-esteem of students through knowing a volunteer cares about them
- Students learn to trust adults through mentoring/tutoring
- Volunteers provide assistance to classrooms - which can reduces discipline issues
- Provides access to the experience and talents of volunteers to enrich student learning
- Can provide assistance with clerical duties
- Illustrates that adults value education
- Involvement by the community will lead to advocates of our schools
- Can produce access to much needed resources
What we do to strengthen our volunteer organization
- Educating our community about our mission
- Completing a volunteer needs assessment
- Implementing a volunteer survey
- Equipping our volunteers to be successful through training and support
- Celebrating the volunteer achievements
There is no better way to enrich our schools than by engaging parent and community volunteers to share their special talents and knowledge with students, teachers and staff. The need for volunteers is unique to each school, but the need to find the best way to manage and cultivate the volunteer relationship is something we all share.
District expectations for volunteer program
- Principal or his/her designee must coordinate and oversee the volunteer program, including reasonable supervision of all volunteers by school system employee(s) and participate in one training session;
- Principal or his/her designee will have an opportunity to approve person(s) volunteering in the school;
- Adequate screening, including a criminal background check, which is valid for a period of three calendar years, of all volunteers who volunteer on a regular basis shall be completed before a volunteer is assigned a task in a school;
- Orientation and training for all volunteers must be held prior to person(s) volunteering in a school. The orientation and training will be provided by an agency approved by district administration.
- Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Profile and a Volunteer Application before attending training;
- A volunteer card will be given to all volunteers that successfully complete the process;
- All volunteers must wear a volunteer badge during volunteer hours at school or during school events;
- Volunteers must sign in at the school office upon arrival to the school and sign out when leaving the school. A log of volunteers and their respective activities will be maintained at each school and shared regularly;
- Volunteers are required to have a criminal background check to accompany students on field trips;
- Volunteers are not to transport students or their families in private vehicles;
- Volunteers are expected to respect and maintain the confidentiality of information about students, staff, other parents, and the school community;
- All volunteer coaches must have a criminal background check prior to coaching;
- Volunteers must be professionally dressed and exhibit professional conduct;
- Principal or his/her designee reserves the right to not approve a volunteer for services or to terminate a volunteer at any time.