If your reassignment approval will be based on child care, this form must be submitted with the application:
Welcome to the Rowan-Salisbury School System! We look forward to partnering with you to guide your child to academic and career success. Registration must be done at the school for which your child is zoned to attend. Attendance zones are based on the property address of where you and your child live.
Please be prepared to provide the following items when enrolling your child:
- Student's birth certificate
- Approved ID of parent/guardian
- Proof of domicile
- Immunization record
- Health Assessment in accordance with North Carolina law - required for kindergarten registration and when enrolling from another state.
Rowan-Salisbury Schools (RSS) Board of Education assigns students to schools based on their home address. It is the intent of the Board of Education that a student should attend the school that serves his/her home address. Exceptions to this will be made within criteria provided by the RSS Board of Education.
Student reassignment only applies to students who wish to attend a school that is not currently associated with their home address. This includes students wishing to attend a school with a specialized academy. If you are moving into Rowan County or changing schools because you moved within Rowan County, refer to the enrollment section of this page.
Parents wishing to request a reassignment to a different school may do so during the Transfer Window. The transfer window for 2019-20 is January 23, 2019 to May 3, 2019.
Reassignments for Rowan County residents that are granted are approved through the grade span of the school (K-5, 6-8 or 9-12). You do not need to reapply each year.
Reassignments for Out-of-County residents that are granted must be re-submitted annually.
Application and Notification Process
- Applications must be submitted by midnight of the day the transfer timeline closes
- Applications must be completed by the parent/legal guardian
- Supporting documentation MUST be attached for processing to begin
- Applications can be returned to any school location or at the Central Administrative Office
- Applications are reviewed by the Enrollment Specialist
- Applicants will be notified by letter of approval or denial by the end of June
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) for request and space availability in requested school
- Requests are approved for a valid educational purpose (see below)
- Requests for transfer should be made during the Transfer Window
- There is no longer an Emergency Transfer Window
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year
- Approved reassignment requests are for the duration of the current grade span
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school for reassigned students
What is a “Valid Educational Purpose”?
A valid educational purpose is one that directly affects a child’s ability to learn and includes, but is not limited to, availability of academic and vocational course offerings, hardships, or special program availability. Requests for romantic purposes, athletic participation, or racial/ethnic reasons are unacceptable. Specific regulations and procedures can be found in the RSSS Board of Education policies.
Appeal Process for reassignment denials
Parents and legal guardians may contest a transfer denial by:
- Completing and submitting an Appeal Request to Superintendent or designee.
- The statement must be received within five (5) working days after the postmarked date on the denial or within five (5) days of sent date if denial letter received by email.
- The Superintendent or designee will study the appeal requests, hold any necessary hearings, and render a decision within ten (10) working days.
- If the parent/guardian is still dissatisfied, they should notify the Board of Education Appeals committee (through the Chief Legal Officer) within five (5) days of receipt of the Superintendent or designee decision.
- The Appeals Committee will hear the request (based on the reason and documentation on the original transfer application).
Circumstances where reassignment may be revoked
A Principal or the Student Assignment Office may revoke a transfer if the student has problems with behavior, tardiness or unexcused absences. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participation and the reassignment.
High School students with approved transfers will be subject to a one-year (365 days) athletic wait period that begins on the first day of enrollment in the new school before athletic eligibility can be established.
**Both the Appeals Committee and the full board shall base their decision on consideration of the best interest of the child, the orderly and efficient administration of the public schools, the proper administration of the school to which reassignment is requested, and the instruction, health, and safety of the pupils there enrolled.
In compliance with federal law, the Rowan-Salisbury School System administers all education programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law
Many High Schools at Rowan-Salisbury Schools (RSS) offer Academies. These are specialized curriculums for students in addition to the traditional high school diploma curriculum offered at every school within RSS. A student who is not currently assigned to one of these schools may apply to be reassigned to an Academy. Below is a list of links to more information on the currently offered academies.