Join the family fun with spooky art, Make activities, a laser show, nature walk and more!
Contact the Transportation Department at 704-245-6702.
Our next Bus Training is
September 5, 6, 7
8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
You must be prompt each morning.
Please contact Tonya Cantrell by email or at 704-245-6702 ext. 7112 to sign up for this class. For more information and qualifications to become a school bus driver, check out this brochure.
The safe transportation of students to and from school is a priority for Rowan-Salisbury Schools, thus the federal, state and local requirements are quite stringent.
Driving a school bus is a rewarding job—you can make the difference in a child’s life.
¨ BEGINNING DRIVER PAY—$11.02 PER HOUR
¨ MOST ROUTES ARE PART-TIME WITH LIMITED PART-TIME BENEFITS (SICK LEAVE, VACATION LEAVE, PAID HOLIDAYS)
¨ SOME FULL-TIME ROUTES AVAILABLE WITH FULL-TIME BENEFITS (HEALTH INSURANCE, RETIREMENT)
¨ OFF WORK ON ALL HOLIDAYS, WEEKENDS AND SUMMER MONTHS
¨ NO EVENING WORK
Must be 18 years of age and have at least 6 months driving experience
No more than one moving violation within the last 12 months
No more than 3 moving violations within the last 5 years
No DWI/DUI convictions within the last 5 years—only one in driving history
No suspension of license within the last 5 years
Valid North Carolina drivers license
- How do I become a bus driver?
- Application Requirements
- What if I already have a RSSS Class B CDL and pocket card?
- Click here to apply for a bus driver position.
- Contact Tonya Cantrell at (704) 245-6702 ext. 7112 to sign up for the next CDL training to obtain a bus license (Class B CDL with passenger and school bus endorsements). This training is offered at no cost.
- Check your email daily to receive a background check from the Rowan-Salisbury School System's Human Resources Department. Fill the background check request out as soon as you receive it.
- After your background check has been completed and approved by Human Resources, you will need to attend the three-day classroom portion of CDL training to obtain a bus license.
- Prior to the three-day on-the-road training (typically 2-4 weeks after the classroom training), a you must complete a medical examination including a TB test, drug test and physical. You will receive this information from Human Resources.
- Complete the on-the-road CDL Training to obtain a bus license.
- Send in a copy of your high school diploma/GED to HR.
- Recommendation for hire is made to Human Resources.
In order to receive your bus license you must have:
- A valid North Carolina driver's license. If you have had a license in any other state in the past 10 years, a copy of your out-of-state driving record must be provided as well.
- A valid email address so you can receive your background check and other paperwork from Human Resources.
- A valid phone number to communicate with the Transportation Department.
If you currently hold a Rowan Salisbury School System Class B CDL and pocket card with Passenger & School Bus Endorsements license, and are wanting to inquire about a part-time (possibly full-time) job, please email Janice Query or call her at 704-245-6702 ext.7110 for more information.
"To support the educational process for all students by providing safe transportation to and from school in a timely, efficient manner."